|the wheel magazine|
The Wheel is a full colour magazine containing articles, patterns and projects for the fibre artist written by knowledgeable and inspirational spinners, weavers, dyers and felters from around the world. It is published annually.
A glossy version is sent to members of the Ashford Club as soon as it is printed in October of each year. A newsprint version is available free of charge from your Ashford dealer.
The 2012 issue (Issue 24) of the Wheel is available now.
This issue of The Wheel try inspiring projects and patterns for spinning, weaving, dyeing, felting, knitting and read about crafts folk from around the world. Articles will include:
• Woven handbag by June Koh, Malaysia
• Spinning tips from Ruth Gough, UK
• Recreate Hobbit yarn on the Country Spinner, Mary Hall, NZ
• Nuno felted scarf, Vesna Damljanovic, USA
• Jacket with hood in handspun, Dorothea Fischer, Germany
• Double weave blanket on the rigid heddle, Kate Sherratt, NZ
• Weaving Bronson, percentage dyeing, spinning in living history groups and much, much more
Thank you to your and your whole team for the last issue of Wheel (Issue 24), as gorgeous and full ideas as usual. But the cover is really beautiful, such a nice picture, makes me dream!
The 2011 issue (Issue 23)
Articles will include:
• A handspun knitted shawl from Anne Wieck, Germany
• A felted nursery activity board from Jill Bailly, Canada
• Research on how textile crafts help mood by Dr Anne Collier, USA
• Table mats in Ripsmatta weave by Jo Reeve, New Zealand
• Dartmoor Dyeing with natural dyestuffs, by Betty Barry, USA
• Create "slugs, snails and puppy dogs tails" novelty yarn with Lyn Welsh, New Zealand
• Summer & Winter table runner, by Elsa Krogh, Denmark
And much, much more
Issue 22 of The Wheel
Spinning: making art yarns, spinning and knitting with silk
Weaving on the rigid heddle looms: table runner, sakiori bag, slip-over top, carrying coat
Weaving on multi shaft looms: twill, mock satin weave, summer and winter
Felting: napkin holders and table weights, tea cozy, cobweb scarf
Knitting: entrelac car seat
Carding: wild carding
Also: My perfect studio, World Congress on Coloured Sheep, slow cloth movement, what’s new from Richard, making lives easier in Nepal, South Atlantic tapestry.
Issue 21 of The Wheel
This 2009 Jubilee Issue (Issue 21) of The Wheel features the Ashford story and great patterns and techniques.
Spinning: Exciting novelty and designer yarn, in wool or silk/merino
Weaving: Bracelets, bags, coats, cushions, scarves and placemats in thick and thin, distorted weaves, Bronson lace, overshot on opposites and double weave
Knitting: Chic beret, cute baby booties
Crochet: Glamorous crochet top
Felting: Wool dreads
Dyeing: Arashi shibori, subtle variegated over dyeing
Also Jacob sheep in Wales, handmade heritage clothing, waulking in Scotland, silk production in Ethiopia and What's New from Richard.
A limited number of back issues are available for NZ$5 each
In 2005 The Wheel became part of The Ashford Club and for their membership subscribers will receive a special edition posted to them from New Zealand. As well as being able to download current and prior issues and much much more!